Puerto Rico

Are you planning to visit Puerto Rico? Check if you need a power plug adapter or voltage converter for the power sockets (outlets) used in Puerto Rico.

The following information is for travelers living in Australia. I live in another country.
  • You need a power plug adapter in Puerto Rico, when living in Australia.
  • You also need a voltage converter.
  • Be extra careful with certain appliances because of the difference in frequency.

Below you find pictures of the applied power sockets and corresponding plugs. And we provide more information about the voltage and frequency.

Electricity in Puerto Rico

In Puerto Rico the power plugs and sockets are of type A and B. The standard voltage is 120 V and the standard frequency is 60 Hz.

Power plug adapter needed in Puerto Rico?

In Puerto Rico the power plugs and sockets are of type A and B. Check out the following pictures. When living in Australia you will need a power plug adapter for sockets type A and B.

  • Your appliances with plug I don't fit socket A or B.

Buy a power plug (travel) adapter

We don't sell power plug adapters. We refer you to Amazon or Ebay where you will find a great selection of travel adapters.

You can also check the map to see the use of different plugs and sockets in the world.

Spread of Power Plugs and Sockets around the world

Voltage converter needed in Puerto Rico?

In Puerto Rico the standard voltage is 120 V and the frequency is 60 Hz.

  • The voltage in Puerto Rico (120 V) is less than in Australia (230 V). You need a voltage converter.

Some say you can carefully try to use your appliances in Puerto Rico without a converter. Most likely they won't be damaged, but may not function optimally. If you don't want to take any chances, use a voltage converter in Puerto Rico when living in Australia. You can find voltage converters at Ebay.

Also the frequency in Puerto Rico (60 Hz) differs from the frequency in Australia (50 Hz). You should use a voltage converter which also changes the frequency, but these are hard to find. If your converter cannot change the frequency, be warned! Be especially careful with moving, rotating and time related appliances like clocks, shavers and electric fan heaters.

To be sure, check the label on the appliance. Some appliances never need a converter. If the label states 'INPUT: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz' the appliance can be used in all countries in the world. This is common for chargers of tablets/laptops, photo cameras, cell phones, toothbrushes, etc.

Would you like to add information to this page? Please send us your suggestions. Read our disclaimer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Where are you going?