Are you planning to visit Canada? Check if you need a power plug adapter or voltage converter for the power sockets (outlets) used in Canada.

The following information is for travelers living in Australia. I live in another country.
  • You need a power plug adapter in Canada, when living in Australia.
  • You also need a voltage converter.
  • Be extra careful with certain appliances because of the difference in frequency.

Below you find pictures of the applied power sockets and corresponding plugs. And we provide more information about the voltage and frequency.

Electricity in Canada

In Canada the power plugs and sockets are of type A and B. The standard voltage is 120 V and the standard frequency is 60 Hz.

Power plug adapter needed in Canada?

In Canada the power plugs and sockets are of type A and B. Check out the following pictures. When living in Australia you need a power plug adapter for sockets type A and B.

  • Your appliances with plug I don't fit socket A or B.

Buy a power plug (travel) adapter

We don't sell power plug adapters. We refer you to Amazon or Ebay where you will find a great selection of travel adapters.

You can also check the map to see the use of different plugs and sockets in the world.

Spread of Power Plugs and Sockets around the world

Voltage converter needed in Canada?

In Canada the standard voltage is 120 V and the frequency is 60 Hz.

  • The voltage in Canada (120 V) is less than in Australia (230 V). You need a voltage converter.

Some say you can carefully try to use your appliances in Canada without a converter. Most likely they won't be damaged, but may not function optimally. If you don't want to take any chances, use a voltage converter in Canada when living in Australia. You can find voltage converters at Ebay.

Also the frequency in Canada (60 Hz) differs from the frequency in Australia (50 Hz). You should use a voltage converter which also changes the frequency, but these are hard to find. If your converter cannot change the frequency, be warned! Be especially careful with moving, rotating and time related appliances like clocks, shavers and electric fan heaters.

To be sure, check the label on the appliance. Some appliances never need a converter. If the label states 'INPUT: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz' the appliance can be used in all countries in the world. This is common for chargers of tablets/laptops, photo cameras, cell phones, toothbrushes, etc.

Would you like to add information to this page? Please send us your suggestions or remarks. Read our disclaimer.


Where are you going?