Are you planning to visit Brazil? Check if you need a power plug adapter or voltage converter for the power sockets (outlets) used in Brazil.

The following information is for travelers living in the United Kingdom. I live in another country.
  • You need a power plug adapter in Brazil, when living in the United Kingdom.
  • You also may need a voltage converter.
  • Be extra careful with certain appliances because of the difference in frequency.

Below you find pictures of the applied power sockets and corresponding plugs. And we provide more information about the voltage and frequency.

Electricity in Brazil

In Brazil the power plug sockets are of type N. The standard voltage is 127 / 220 V and the frequency is 60 Hz.

Power plug adapter needed in Brazil?

In Brazil the power plug sockets are of type N. Check out the following pictures. When living in the United Kingdom you need a power plug adapter for sockets type N.

  • Your appliances with plug G don't fit socket N.

Buy a power plug (travel) adapter

We don't sell power plug adapters. We refer you to Amazon, where you will find a great selection of travel adapters.

You can also check the map to see the use of different plugs and sockets in the world.

Spread of Power Plugs and Sockets around the world

Voltage converter needed in Brazil?

In Brazil the standard voltage is 127 / 220 V and the frequency is 60 Hz.

  • Watch out! In Brazil more than one voltage is being used (127 / 220 V).

It can depend on the region, the city or even the hotel which voltage you will come across. Your appliances work on 230 V. So please check locally if you can use your appliances!

If the local voltage is 127 V, you need a voltage converter. Some say you can carefully try to use your appliances in Brazil without a converter. Most likely they won't be damaged, but may not function optimally. If you don't want to take any chances, use a voltage converter in Brazil. You can find voltage converters at Amazon.

Also the frequency in Brazil (60 Hz) differs from the frequency in the United Kingdom (50 Hz). You should use a voltage converter which also changes the frequency, but these are hard to find. If your converter can't change the frequency, be warned! Be especially careful with moving, rotating and time related appliances like clocks, shavers and electric fan heaters.

To be sure, check the label on the appliance. Some appliances never need a converter. If the label states 'INPUT: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz' the appliance can be used in all countries in the world. This is common for chargers of tablets/laptops, photo cameras, cell phones, toothbrushes, etc.

Need anything else?

Check if you have packed everything for your trip at our TRAVELER'S CHECKLIST!

Read our disclaimer.

Find your travel adapter at AMAZON

Where are you going?